Sunday, February 11, 2007

My Front Yard

This happened 5 years ago, before hollaback. I was young and a newlywed. My husband and I rented a beautiful little home in Laguna Beach. It was small, but in a wonderful neighborhood with high hedges and a picket fence in the front yard. Every morning my husband would leave for work, I would shower, then go out front to get the paper.

One morning I walked out and to my surprise, a guy wearing jogging shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes had come thru our gate and was standing in the front yard relieving himself. I shyly said, "excuse me". He looked over his shoulder at me, then turned around. He had the front of his shorts down and was exposing himself. I immediately went in and locked the door. We had a big window in front, so I opened the drapes and looked out. He was just going out the gate when he glanced back and saw me. Then he looked up and down the street and came back in the gate.

I was terrified. He walked up to the porch and started taking off his clothes. Off with the shirt and shorts and he was naked with shoes and socks. He grabbed hold of himself and started masturbating. I couldn't move, I was only in my bath robe so I knelt down. He just stood there masturbating right in front of me. Every time I looked up he would smile at me. After he finished he took his time putting his clothes on and left. I called my husband and he came home and we called the police. Although the evidence was all over the porch they were of little help.

The officer said, " well. these guys come out of the woodwork in warm weather." I wonder what it is that makes guys do this? I have never been that frightened in my life. We moved 2 months later.

JB

3 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had to call your husband so he could come home and call the cops for you? You're not able to dial 911 yourself? Maybe if you had done that, the cops would have been there in time to catch the perv.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger meesh said...

Y'know hindsight is 20/20.

I can understand being a young woman, just married and starting out in life, and home alone like that. I've suddenly been seriously threatened for perhaps the first time in my life. Is this guy going to try and break in next? How crazy is he? I want to talk to someone who is going to be supportive and who will give a damn. If I call 911, the next thing I know there are paramedics, fire trucks and police cars dispatched to my home. I would hesitate to do that too. I would want to call the person closest to me who is going to help me stop shaking and feel safe.

What I find interesting is that you just read this woman'a account of a pretty disturbing incident and your first thought seems to be to criticize her reaction. Hmmm...

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When something like that happens, there isn't really time to think. It would have been better if she had called the cops right then but they take so long any way they probably wouldn't have caught him. Knowing it takes so long you need imediate protection and you are going to get the person in the house to protect you and thats what husbands do anyways, protect. How insensitive you are "anonymous."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home